Thursday, March 17, 2011

Book Art Project

I forgot to really post anything about our book art project, which was supposed to be either to alter a book or to create a new artist's book. While searching for ideas, I saw these paper flowers on a blog, and knew instantly I had to incorporate them into my piece. Ultimately, I chose to alter a book instead of create a new one. Here are the results!







Artist's Statement:
To be honest, the intention behind this piece is mostly aesthetic. I love how the repetition of the flowers gives the piece a sense of unity, yet is not sterile due to the variation in size and petal number. Long vertical lines, created by the folds of the book, continue down to the base pages and draw the whole piece together. I love how the geometric shape of the book has transformed into organic shapes and arrangements yet is still recognizable, incorporating the old with the new. Still, even with this piece’s emphasis on simply the aesthetic, the concept of the work has a kind of lovely, cyclical quality to it. Pages made from trees were compiled into a horticultural journal, which now has “grown” this bouquet of flowers. Plants about plants became plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment